Charlottenburg
The palace was severely damaged in the Second World War, but it has now been completely restored. The main building with its reconstructed rooms is used as a museum, and various collections are also housed in the side wings, including the Romanticism Gallery. The two buildings with high roof structures on the other side of Spandauer Damm, which were originally built as barracks (1851-59 by August Stüler), now house the Egyptian Museum and the Berggruen Collection (20th century art).
Karl-Marx-Allee
After devastating war damage, the buildings constructed in 1952-60 along the ¬almost two kilometres between Strausberger Platz and Frankfurter Tor were probably the most monumental 20th century street development in Germany. The road was widened to 90 metres, the seven to nine ¬storey buildings were built in accordance with party instructions (and contrary to the designs in an urban development competition) in the Stalinist/neo-classical style of the 1950s. Shops and restaurants were situated in the lower one or two storeys, and the upper storeys contained apartments which were comfortable by the standards of the time. The building blocks are up to 300 metres long and vary by protruding and receding sections and different numbers of storeys; the facades are decorated in some places with ornamental ceramic tiles. Following Moscow's instructions, national elements were integrated - in Berlin this meant details based on forms of the Schinkel period. The indi¬vidual sections of the development were built under the direction of ¬various collectives.
Checkpoint Charlie
Almost a decade and a half after the fall of the Wall, few sites recall the dark epoch when Berlin was a divided city. Along with the Berlin Wall Memorial at Bernauer Strasse, Checkpoint Charlie is at the top of the hit-list. Above all foreign tourists head for the former border-crossing at Friedrichstrasse that once divided Kreuzberg (west) from Mitte (east). But today only little is recalling the famous crossing point restricted to foreigners and allies: an original warning sign (“You are leaving the American sector”), cobblestones marking the former boundary, and two large photos of an American and Russian soldier. Since 2001 a wooden barrack and a pile of sand sacks were added to the site. They portray the situation just shortly after the Wall was built when US soldiers had taken up their posts here. An abundant collection in the privately-run museum House at Checkpoint Charlie documents escape attempts and their outcomes, keeping alive the memory of the Berlin Wall. |